We have an open position for a 3-year industrial PhD fellowship. The position is a collaboration between Nordic Bioscience and University of Southern Denmark. The position is based at Nordic Bioscience in Herlev, Denmark, and will be conducted with enrollment at the University of Southern Denmark in Odense, Denmark.
The project is funded by Innovation fund Denmark.
Project title: Discovery and characterization of novel collagen biomarkers for fibrosis progression and regression.
The project objectives are:
- Identification and development of novel serological extracellular matrix (ECM) biomarkers targeting type III, and V collagen resolution, and formation of type XXVI, XXVII and XXVIII collagens.
- Evaluation of the novel collagen biomarkers in clinical cohorts to assess their accuracy as diagnostic, prognostic, and efficacy biomarkers of fibrotic diseases to aid in the need for precision medicine.
You will play a pivotal role in development and validation of blood-based biomarkers for diagnosis and prognosis of liver fibrosis in in vitro systems and in clinical samples.
Nordic Bioscience is a Danish biotech company located just outside Copenhagen. Nordic Bioscience has app. 200 employees with the majority being involved in science. The focus is understanding of the extracellular matrix and we are specialized in precision medicine using unique biomarker technologies. We are organized in several research teams with focus on a variety of diseases ranging from arthritis through fibrosis to type 2 diabetes and obesity. Our approach is highly scientific, and we take pride in frequently publishing our results in leading journals worldwide resulting in publication of around 50 articles each year.
This PhD position is within the Biomarkers and Research Division of Nordic Bioscience and based in the Fibrosis Group, where they focus on biomarker development and utilization in patients with varies fibrotic diseases.
The supervisors will be Mette Juul Fisker Nielsen, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, and Aleksander Krag (University of Southern Denmark).
The successful candidate must hold a relevant MSc degree (biochemistry, biotechnology, pharmaceutical science or alike), have a weighted grade average of 8.2 with at least grade 10 in MSc thesis. Fluency in English is essential, as well as being able to work as a part of a research team. Knowledge of basic statistics and analysis of clinical studies is an advantage.
General job description
Your key tasks as a PhD fellow are to:
- Development, optimization, and validation of enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISAs) targeting proteins known to be involved in liver fibrosis
- Establishment and evaluation of in vitro fibrosis models
- Manage and carry through your research project
- Take PhD courses
- Write scientific articles and your PhD thesis
- Participate in national and international congresses and scientific meetings
- Disseminate your research
Key criteria for the assessment of applicants
- The grades achieved during bachelor/master studies
- Relevant skills and knowledge
- Previous publications
- Language skills
- Relevant work experience
- Other professional activities
- Assessment of the candidate’s motivation letter
Terms of employment
The position as industrial PhD fellow is available for a 3-year period.
The terms of employment and salary are in accordance with the local and national rules and in accordance to the rules and regulations laid down by the Innovation fund Denmark. Exact salary will be confirmed upon appointment.
Nordic Bioscience is offering:
- An important role in a highly dynamic research organization with world-wide reach
- An environment driven by science and good ideas, where you can truly make a difference and see your own ideas come to life
- Great opportunities for personal development
- Contribution to our academic publication activities
- A flat, tight organization in which you can impact the project success
How to apply
Applicants are requested to submit their application to email@example.com (in word or pdf):
- Cover letter: Letter stating the interest in and qualifications for the project (max. one page).
- Full CV.
- List of publications.
- Diploma and transcripts of records: Master´s degree diploma (including grade transcripts for bachelor´s and master´s degrees). Applicants with a Master´s degree from abroad should also enclose a short description of the grading scale used.
- For those applicants whose principal language of instruction during their BSc/MSc was not English it will be an advantage if they enclose IELTS or TOEFL test scores or equivalent proof of English skills.
For further information, applicants may contact Mette Juul Fisker Nielsen, firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for application is January 30, 2020.